Parents have two options for religious education of their children in the parish. Since 1882 we have had a parochial school, St. Michael’s, Penn Yan, offering a “Christian-centered, values-based learning environment for students of all economic, racial and spiritual backgrounds, supported by a program of academic excellence” serving pre-schoolers – grade 5. More information can be found here
For parents not choosing St. Michael’s School, or for parents who are home schooling, the parish offers a family based formation program. The program consists of online learning (or by book, if preferred) with a once-a-month class, Sept. – May. The 1.5 hour class includes fellowship, activities and supplemental learning for a total of 30 contact hours. The learning for all grade levels is the Faith and Life series by Ignatius Press. Parents are expected to do the lessons together with their elementary aged children at home, weekly, preferably on Sundays. (A way to follow Commandment #3, “Keep holy the Sabbath.”) Parents may want to review the lessons of their older youth once they have completed them.
Families who cannot meet at their normal worship site are expected to attend within the same month at one of the other worship sites. Together, families learn Bible stories, the great story of salvation through Christ Jesus and a better understanding our Catholic faith through games, songs, crafts and other activities.
All parents must register their children either at St. Michael’s School or in the parish based program. Children are ready to prepare for sacraments when they have completed at least one year of religious instruction in the year prior to the year when preparing for the sacrament and be enrolled in the current year of religious education, as well as the classes for sacramental preparation.
Camp Stella Maris offers a great way to grow in faith! They feature summer camps and weekend events all year
Some great websites for children can be found below!
To build strong Catholic families, take time to be for each other. These steps will help:
- Actively worship at Mass weekly together as a Family! (There is no greater way to build a Catholic Family, The Mass and Eucharist should be at the heart of the Family and of every life)
- Consecrate your family to The Blessed Virgin Mary/ or a dedicated Patron Saint
- Make time to pray, converse and eat together daily.
- Make time to do the weekly lesson and other family activities together.
- Attend Family Faith Formation for 1.5 hours monthly on Sundays from September – May. See the Events schedule for dates, locations and times
- Incorporate spiritual reading, listening to Christian radio into your lives.
- Attend social events within the parish.
- Participate in the ministries of the parish. (click on the Ministries found under Giving.)
- As a family, participate in two service projects each year.