Volunteers are the lifeblood of any organization. As Catholics, we know that receiving Jesus in the Eucharist spurs us to action, whether locally, nationally or internationally. Young or old, or any age in between, Jesus is counting on you, and we need you!
In accordance with the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People promulgated by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) in 2002 and revised in 2018; all Volunteers, Employees (including: Clergy, Seminarians, Deacons, Woman Religious and Lay Employees) who work or volunteer in the Diocese of Rochester and its affiliated employers must complete MANDATORY training: Creating a Safe Environment Training (CASE – Volunteers), Safe Environment Training (SE – Employees), acknowledge the appropriate (Volunteer or Employee) Code of Conduct, and complete a Background Check prior to volunteer service or working within the Diocese. These must be renewed every 3 years.
This link will take you to the diocesan page on which you can access the link to the training, all necessary forms necessary, any safe environment updates and the quarterly CASE newsletter.
All evidence of course completion and supporting forms need to be returned to Erika Holland at St. Michael’s School or Patty Larzelere, parish coordinator of Safe Environment compliance. Your information is secured in a locked file cabinet. After no volunteering for 7 years, all information is shredded for your protection.
Some areas where volunteers are needed and welcomed are:
- Advisory Committees: (Pastoral Council, Finance Council, Buildings & Grounds, Cemeteries (St. Michael’s (2), St. Patrick’s & St. Theresa’s, Stanley) St. Michael’s School & Technology.
- Evangelical and Catechetical ministries: Providing receptions after Mases and funerals (Martha’s Ministers), forming small groups (men, women, youth), leading classes for children, teens and adults, planning Care of the Community meets and other social gatherings: ecumenical Thanksgiving dinner (St. Januarius), book club, prayer group, movie nights, quilters/prayer shawl knitters) sacramental preparation, including Order of Christian Initiation of Adults (OCIA) & Order of Christian Initiation of Children (OCIC), committee members.
- Liturgical ministries: (Greeters, ushers, Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW), lectors, altar servers, musicians, cantors, choir members, Eucharistic ministers, especially to the homebound; decorators, sacristans, cleaners, launderers, count team, committee members.
- Stewardship ministries: Cleaners, gardeners, Time, Talent & Treasure outreach/compilation, Spring/Fall clean up at all worship sites and rectories, mowing, yard sale (St. Januarius), committee members.
- Social Ministries: feeding: youth at school (Grandma’s Kitchen) & the hungry in the community, promoting: Respect Life month (October) and Public Policy Weekend (February); supporting: local Care Nets (Baby Bottle and Baby Shower Drives), food pantries (collection and distribution), Yates Christmas Program, Operation Rice Bowl, Catholic Campaign for Human Development collection (September), activities of Catholic Charities of the Finger Lakes; creating: homeless kits, quilts and knitted items and encouraging: sale of fairly traded products, participation in Warm Hands/Hearts & Angel/Giving Tree collection and distribution, immigration reform and any anti-poverty/human trafficking opportunities, committee members.
- Our service organizations: the Catholic Daughters of the Americas, Court St. Michael; & the Knights of Columbus.
We look forward to welcoming you as a volunteer!